Returning Metropolitan College Participants

Students who signed at least one MC agreement but have not signed an MC agreement in the past 12 months or longer.

Choose this checklist if...

  • You've signed a Metropolitan College Student Agreement before.
  • It has been MORE than 12 months since you signed your last agreement.

These are the steps you need to complete to return to an active Metropolitan College participant. If you have any questions, please email your assigned MC Counselor through your My MC page.

The Metropolitan College benefit applies only to part-time UPS employees who are actively working as Next Day Air part-time hub, ramp, and freight employees in the Louisville Air District (2265) and whose shifts start between 9:00 PM and 4:00 AM. Here's a two-page, printer-friendly version: Returning MC Student Checklist.

Steps to Complete Before You Return to School

Ready to return to college? Review resources to help clarify your academic goals.

Attend one of our Returning MC Students information sessions to learn more.

MC JCTC Returners:

  • Contact JCTC advising to discuss course options, learn how to enroll in courses and ask about account holds that would prevent registration so you can work through these barriers.
  • Make an appointment with the CREW Career Center to conduct a career assessment for help identifying or focusing on a career.

MC UofL Returners:

Review the MC eligibility requirements and create an education plan.

MC JCTC Returners:

Reapply to JCTC if you have been out of school more than one semester

Please Note: UofL MC students must meet our program admission requirements:

  • Cumulative 3.0 high school GPA or greater (GED 600) and a 21 ACT/1060 SAT composite or super score.
  • 60 transferable college credit hours or have earned an associate degree.
  • Cumulative 3.3 high school GPA or greater (GED 660), no ACT/SAT test score.

If you do not meet this requirement, you may submit a MC petition requesting an exception to the MC UofL admission policy. An exception to the UofL MC admission policy will be considered when extenuating circumstances prevented adherence to the MC UofL admission criteria. When available, relevant documentation should be submitted with the petition. Submission of a MC petition does not guarantee approval. If you completed any coursework at JCTC, and you do not meet the MC UofL requirements, you must meet with ULtra Transfer Services and complete the following steps to submit a petition:

  1. Step 1: Schedule a meeting (in-person or virtual) with ULtra Transfer Services to determine when you should transfer to UofL as an MC student.
    1. Log on to the scheduling page: Contact & Office Hours — Office of Adult & Transfer Services ( Plan in advance as it may be 24 hours or more before an appointment is available
    2. Scroll down and select "Book Now" under a staff member.
    3. In the form, under "What would you like to talk about during the meeting?" write "Support to file and MC petition for UofL".
  2. Step 2: Meet with the ULtra staff member and request this form to be completed: (Note: Students are not able to access this form.)
  3. Step 3: Immediately after meeting with ULtra, a student must complete and submit the petition form:

MC UofL Returners:

  • Students enrolled within the past two years who are returning to the same program, can request to re-enroll.
  • Students who have been away for two or more years, re-apply with the Take Flight Application*.
  • Students who were visitors, academically suspended, or who have attended another university or college since leaving UofL must also re-apply using the Take Flight Application*.

*Contact your assigned MC Student Success Counselor for your waived application fee for MC returners.

Complete Employment Verification to confirm eligibility to receive MC benefits.

At least 5 days prior to signing an MC agreement, Complete the Employment Verification Form.

  • If it has been more than 12 months since you signed an agreement, this process will verify your UPS employment status and allow you to update your personal information.

Know your UPS Employee ID number, Student ID number, and Student Email address to complete.

File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Complete the current academic year FAFSA by going to This application is free to complete. If you are asked to pay a fee, check the web address. Student and parent tax information will be needed if you are under 24 years of age, as well as the school code for the school you will be attending (JCTC 006961, UofL 001999).

This is REQUIRED to be completed before you sign your MC agreement. If you have stopped out of our program for more than 12 months, you may bring your FAFSA confirmation page to the MC agreement signing if your FAFSA file is not yet complete with the institution.

In the future a completed Financial Aid file with the school you are attending is required for continuation of MC benefits. Learn more about the MC FAFSA requirement or complete the Interactive MC Financial Aid Worksheet to learn how financial aid affects your tuition benefits with Metropolitan College.

Note: You must be a U.S. citizen or federal student aid eligible non-citizen to participate in the Metropolitan College program.

Financial holds? Want to build wealth as an MC student? Enroll in the High 5 Program and speak to a Wealth Ambassador.

All MC students have access to this unique program through Commonwealth Credit Union (CCU) to assist in connecting to resources and removing financial barriers in order to return to school.

While not required, all MC students are strongly encouraged to open a High 5 savings or checking account with CCU. MC students can deposit all or a portion of their weekly pay, as well as take advantage of special products available to MC students, to grow their wealth and implement effective budgeting skills.

Review High 5 and apply online at or schedule a meeting with a Wealth Ambassador through your My MC page.

Note: If you owe a past due balance to JCTC or UofL, contact your assigned Student Success Counselor through your My MC page, for High 5 MC Gap Loan information.

Steps to Complete Once Accepted to JCTC or UofL

Get advised and register for classes.

Visit your school's advising office to receive guidance on your class selection

MC students should advocate for late afternoon and/or evening classes that will compliment a night shift work schedule if possible.

MC does cover summer tuition and highly encourages enrollment for summer courses.

Understand your payment options based on when you enroll for courses and the tuition deadline of your school.

When you register for classes, you are responsible for the tuition bill at JCTC or UofL. It is important that you know the tuition deadline when you register for classes.

As a Returning MC student, your tuition payment options are as follows:

  1. If you plan to return BEFORE the semester tuition deadline and all MC checklist items are completed, you must sign an MC agreement & pay fees* and/or any uncovered tuition costs before the tuition deadline.
  2. If you plan to return AFTER the semester tuition deadline, you must pay your tuition bill by the semester tuition deadline and sign an MC agreement by the MC Student Agreement Semester deadline (Spring 3/15, Summer 8/1, Fall 10/15) to be eligible for reimbursement. You typically have two payment options:
    • Pay your tuition, fees, and uncovered costs in full, or
    • Contact your school to determine if you are eligible for a payment plan.

*Fees not covered by Metropolitan College include, but are not limited to: housing, student recreation fee, meal plan, health fee, course fees, lab fees, parking fees, JCTC distance education fees, etc.

**Tuition costs not covered by Metropolitan College include, but are not limited to: undergraduate tuition charged at a rate higher than the in-state per credit hour rate, tuition that exceeds the full-time undergraduate in-state tuition rate, Winter Term courses at UofL, etc.

Sign your MC Student Agreement.

Upon completion of the above checklist items visit your My MC page and click “Schedule an Office Visit” to sign your MC agreement with a Student Success Counselor.

  • A photo ID (i.e. student, UPS, or government issued) is required to discuss specific student account information, including financial aid, tuition balance, enrollment status, etc., in all Metro College offices and MS Teams meetings. General information may be provided if an ID is not presented.

Throughout the Return to School and MC Process

Contact Us!

Contact your Student Success Counselor (SDC) | Email through your My MC page

  1. Log on to
  2. Click on My MC (upper right corner)
  3. Enter your UPS GEMS ID and Date of birth
  4. Email your SDC in the upper right corner

Sara Heun - UPS Support Staff & HR Specialist | | 502-416-3868 | M-F 9AM - 5PM