This program provides a seamless pathway for students to obtain an Automotive Technician certificate with an optional Associate in Applied Science degree while receiving 100% paid tuition and employment at both UPS and a local automotive dealership.
- PROGRAM OVERVIEW
- COURSE OFFERINGS
- PROGRAM BENEFITS
- ENROLLMENT PROCESS
- PROGRAM ELIGIBILTY
- PARTICIPATING DEALERSHIPS
This program provides a seamless pathway for students to obtain an Automotive Technician certificate with an optional Associate in Applied Science degree while receiving 100% paid tuition and employment at both UPS and a local automotive dealership. Students will work the day shift at UPS and attend JCTC automotive courses two-days a week. Students will also receive hands on training and additional income by working at a partner dealership one day a week for a minimum of 5 hours, maximum of 10 hours. After graduation, students have the opportunity to work for the dealership full-time as an Automotive Technician with an earning potential of $40,000-$100,000. Students will have the opportunity to continue their education to increase certification levels while working full-time as an automotive technician. To learn more about the career of an automotive technician, watch this video.
- SUNDAY: Work at UPS 10am-4pm
- MONDAY: Work at UPS 10am-4pm and Attend class 5pm-10pm
- TUESDAY: Work at UPS 10am-4pm
- WEDNESDAY: Work at UPS 10am-4pm and Attend class 5pm-10pm
- THURSDAY: Work at UPS 10am-4pm
- FRIDAY and/or SATURDAY: Work at Dealership a minimum of 5 hours and maximum of 10 hours a week
(NOTE: Students may complete on-line coursework throughout the week to obtain the Associate in Applied Science degree.)
This program is for MC students who are interested in starting the Automotive Technician program as a cohort. If you are a current MC student enrolled in the Automotive Technician program, or a recent MC graduate, and you are interested in connecting with our partner employers, please submit your information on this form: Current MC Student Employment Interest Form.
This is a two and half year program at Jefferson Community and Technical College and includes fall, spring and summer enrollment.
- YEAR 1
- Fall Semester 1st 8 weeks: Basic Automotive Electricity & Basic Automotive Electricity Lab (5 credits)
- Fall Semester 2nd 8 weeks: Brakes Systems and Lab (5 credits)
- Spring Semester 1st 8 weeks: Suspension and Steering and Lab (5 credits)
- Spring Semester 2nd 8 weeks: Electrical Systems and Electrical Systems Lab (5 credits)
- Summer Semester 16 weeks: Engine Repair and Lab (5 credits)
- Optional 6 credit hours of on-line General Education requirements
- YEAR 2
- Fall Semester 1st 8 weeks: Basic Fuel and Ignition Systems and Lab (5 credits)
- Fall Semester 2nd 8 weeks: Emissions Systems and Lab (5 credits)
- Spring Semester 1st 8 weeks: Climate Control and Lab (5 credits)
- Spring Semester 2nd 8 weeks: Computer Control Systems and Diagnosis (5 credits)
- Summer Semester 16 weeks: Automatic Transmission/Transaxle (5 credits)
- Optional 6 credit hours of on-line General Education requirements
- YEAR 3
- Fall Semester 1st 16 weeks: Manual Transitions and Lab (5 credits)
- Optional 3 credit hours of on-line General Education requirements
Metropolitan College Benefits
- 100% JCTC Tuition deferred
- UP to $65 per course for books and software
- UPS hourly pay rate.
- Employees, along with their spouses and dependents, receive health, dental, vision, prescription, and life insurance coverage after 9 months of employment. Employees also receive paid vacation and holidays after 1 year of employment.
- Semester Bonuses of up to $500 (after taxes) with successful completion of 6 or more credit hours with a grade C or better.
- Graduation Bonus of $400 (after taxes) upon completion of associate degree.
- Customize career coaching assistance to assist with interviewing skills and clarification of career goals.
Automotive Dealership Benefits
- Starting pay rate $15 an hour
- Minimum of 5 hours, and a maximum of 10 hours, of work a week. Students can request additional hours from dealership.
- Access to free online manufacture specific training and certifications.
- Tools provided. Tool Purchasing programs available as you progress in the program.
- Upon completion of program, student will be level 1 certified and have the opportunity to continue to training to be level 3 certified with an earning potential of $100,000.
- Dealerships will work with program participants to arrange for time off occasionally on the weekends to participants can spend time with family.
Kentucky LOOP Benefits
- Automotive MC students can be LOOP participants OR Non-LOOP participants.
- Housing Program is open to all Kentucky residents who have confirmed and validated residency in a Kentucky county.
- The Kentucky LOOP, Living Options and Opportunities Path, provides eligible Jefferson Community and Technical College (JCTC) Metropolitan College participants with a $325 per month housing stipend.
- Refer to the LOOP benefits page for benefit and enrollment information.
Step 1: Learn about the Automotive Technician Pathway
- Register for an on-line information session for students and families. Next Session TBA
- Learn about the Automotive Technician Career Pathway by watching this career video. Print out our program overview document as a reference tool (TBA).
- If unable to attend an information session, contact Lexius Yarbrough at firstname.lastname@example.org or 502-213-2645
Step 2: Submit a Metro College Automotive Technician Interview Request Form
- Program space is limited to 20 participants for Fall 2021. Submit your interest form as soon as possible.
- Applicants will receive dealership information to set up interviews.
- Applicants will interview with dealerships.
Step 3: Apply to Jefferson Community and Technical College (JCTC) and file a FAFSA
- Apply to Jefferson Community and Technical College: jefferson.kctcs.edu/admissions
- File the FAFSA at fafsa.gov with JCTC's school code: 006961
Step 4:Apply and Get Hired by UPS
- Go to UPSJobsKY.com and click on Apply Now.
- Apply 30-45 days prior to desired start date.
Step 5: Accept employment at UPS and dealership of choice.
Step 6: Complete all steps listed above and schedule your JCTC cohort classes.
- Fill out MC Automotive Technician Cohort Enrollment Form
- Sign your Metropolitan College Agreement.
- Sign your LOOP Agreement (if applicable)
Then you are ready to...
- Begin employment at UPS.
- Start classes at JCTC with your program cohort August.
- Begin work at the dealership August.
- Students pursuing a diploma or certificate need a 16 ACT or higher.
- Students pursuing an Associate of Science need to meet regular JCTC admission criteria of 16 ACT or higher
- Students must meet UPS hiring requirements
- Students must meet dealership hiring requirements. These requirements vary by dealership.
- Oxmoor Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram - www.oxmoorchrysler.com
- Bob Hook Chevrolet - www.bobhook.com
- Courtesy Buick GMC - www.courtesybuickgmc.net
- Montgomery Automotive Group- www.kiastore.org
- Neil Huffman Acura- www.acuraatoxmoor.com
- Neil Huffman Honda- www.neilhuffmanhonda.com
- Louisville Honda World- www.louisvillehondaworld.com
- Bill Collins Ford- www.billcollinsford.com
To learn more about this program, contact Lexius Yarbrough, MC Student Development Counselor at 502-213-2645 or email@example.com
If you are an Automotive Dealership interested in participating in this partnership, please submit the Automotive Dealership Partner Participant Form.