COVID-19 Notice: Masks required for all in-person visits.
This program provides a seamless pathway for students to obtain an Automotive Technician certificate with an optional Associate in Applied Science degree while receiving 100% paid tuition and employment at both UPS and a local automotive dealership.
Automotive Technician Career Pathway Information Session
Join MC Student Development Counselors, UPS recruiters, and Commonwealth Credit Union (CCU) as we review our partnership at Jefferson Community & Technical College and present the following:
- MC program benefits and eligibility
- CCU and our High 5 financial education program including budgeting and ways to grow your wealth
- UPS hiring process and employment opportunities
- Automotive Technician Program Overview
- Parent/supporter resources
- Opportunity for you to ask questions
If you are a student, parent, educator, or anyone who wants to know more about our program, we highly recommend you join us!
This one-hour session can be conveniently accessed and viewed on any mobile device and/or PC. You do not need to pre-register for this event, so click on the following date and time to join us! Link will be available the day before the event (click on the date or "Join Zoom Meeting" to join).
- PROGRAM OVERVIEW
- COURSE OFFERINGS
- PROGRAM BENEFITS
- ENROLLMENT PROCESS
- PROGRAM ELIGIBILTY
- PARTICIPATING DEALERSHIPS
This program provides a seamless pathway for students to obtain an Automotive Technician certificate with an optional Associate in Applied Science degree while receiving 100% paid tuition and employment at both UPS and a local automotive dealership. Students will work the day shift at UPS and attend JCTC automotive courses two-days a week. Students will also receive hands on training and additional income by working at a partner dealership one day a week for a minimum of 5 hours, maximum of 10 hours. After graduation, students have the opportunity to work for the dealership full-time as an Automotive Technician with an earning potential of $40,000-$100,000. Students will have the opportunity to continue their education to increase certification levels while working full-time as an automotive technician. To learn more about the career of an automotive technician, watch this video.
- SUNDAY: Work at UPS 10am-4pm
- MONDAY: Work at UPS 10am-4pm and Attend class 5pm-10pm
- TUESDAY: Work at UPS 10am-4pm
- WEDNESDAY: Work at UPS 10am-4pm and Attend class 5pm-10pm
- THURSDAY: Work at UPS 10am-4pm
- FRIDAY and/or SATURDAY: Work at Dealership a minimum of 5 hours and maximum of 10 hours a week
(NOTE: Students may complete on-line coursework throughout the week to obtain the Associate in Applied Science degree.)
This program is for MC students who are interested in starting the Automotive Technician program as a cohort. If you are a current MC student enrolled in the Automotive Technician program, or a recent MC graduate, and you are interested in connecting with our partner employers, please submit your information on this form: Current MC Student Employment Interest Form.
This is a two and half year program at Jefferson Community and Technical College and includes fall, spring and summer enrollment.
- YEAR 1
- Fall Semester 1st 8 weeks: Basic Automotive Electricity & Basic Automotive Electricity Lab (5 credits)
- Fall Semester 2nd 8 weeks: Brakes Systems and Lab (5 credits)
- Spring Semester 1st 8 weeks: Suspension and Steering and Lab (5 credits)
- Spring Semester 2nd 8 weeks: Electrical Systems and Electrical Systems Lab (5 credits)
- Summer Semester 16 weeks: Engine Repair and Lab (5 credits)
- Optional 6 credit hours of on-line General Education requirements
- YEAR 2
- Fall Semester 1st 8 weeks: Basic Fuel and Ignition Systems and Lab (5 credits)
- Fall Semester 2nd 8 weeks: Emissions Systems and Lab (5 credits)
- Spring Semester 1st 8 weeks: Climate Control and Lab (5 credits)
- Spring Semester 2nd 8 weeks: Computer Control Systems and Diagnosis (5 credits)
- Summer Semester 16 weeks: Automatic Transmission/Transaxle (5 credits)
- Optional 6 credit hours of on-line General Education requirements
- YEAR 3
- Fall Semester 1st 16 weeks: Manual Transitions and Lab (5 credits)
- Optional 3 credit hours of on-line General Education requirements
Metropolitan College Benefits
- 100% JCTC Tuition deferred
- UP to $65 per course for books and software
- UPS hourly pay rate.
- Employees, along with their spouses and dependents, receive health, dental, vision, prescription, and life insurance coverage after 9 months of employment. Employees also receive paid vacation and holidays after 1 year of employment.
- Semester Bonuses of up to $500 (after taxes) with successful completion of 6 or more credit hours with a grade C or better.
- Graduation Bonus of $400 (after taxes) upon completion of associate degree.
- Customize career coaching assistance to assist with interviewing skills and clarification of career goals.
Automotive Dealership Benefits
- Starting pay rate $15 an hour
- Minimum of 5 hours, and a maximum of 10 hours, of work a week. Students can request additional hours from dealership.
- Access to free online manufacture specific training and certifications.
- Tools provided. Tool Purchasing programs available as you progress in the program.
- Upon completion of program, student will be level 1 certified and have the opportunity to continue to training to be level 3 certified with an earning potential of $100,000.
- Dealerships will work with program participants to arrange for time off occasionally on the weekends to participants can spend time with family.
Kentucky LOOP Benefits
- Automotive MC students can be LOOP participants OR Non-LOOP participants.
- Housing Program is open to all Kentucky residents who have confirmed and validated residency in a Kentucky county.
- The Kentucky LOOP, Living Options and Opportunities Path, provides eligible Jefferson Community and Technical College (JCTC) Metropolitan College participants with a $325 per month housing stipend.
- Refer to the LOOP benefits page for benefit and enrollment information.
Step 1: Learn about the Automotive Technician Pathway
- Attend an on-line information session for students and families. Next Session: November 18th @ 3:00pm
- Learn about the Automotive Technician Career Pathway by watching this career video. Print out our program overview document as a reference tool (TBA).
- If unable to attend an information session, contact Lexius Yarbrough at firstname.lastname@example.org or 502-213-2645
Step 2: Submit a Metro College Automotive Technician Interview Request Form
- Program space is limited to 20 participants for Fall 2022. Submit your interest form as soon as possible.
- Applicants will receive dealership information to set up interviews.
- Applicants will interview with dealerships.
Step 3: Apply to Jefferson Community and Technical College (JCTC) and file a FAFSA
- Apply to Jefferson Community and Technical College: jefferson.kctcs.edu/admissions
- File the FAFSA at fafsa.gov with JCTC's school code: 006961
Step 4:Apply and Get Hired by UPS
- Go to UPSJobsKY.com and click on Apply Now.
- Apply 30-45 days prior to desired start date.
- Applicants interested in this pathway need to work 2DA Hub, Ramp positions are not encouraged!
Step 5: Accept employment at UPS and dealership of choice.
Step 6: Complete all steps listed above and schedule your JCTC cohort classes.
- Fill out MC Automotive Technician Cohort Enrollment Form
- Sign your Metropolitan College Agreement.
- Sign your LOOP Agreement (if applicable)
- After you have received your acceptance notice from JCTC, reach out to JCTC advisor Tony Leslie (email@example.com) to help you get registered for courses in this program.
Then you are ready to...
- Begin employment at UPS.
- Start classes at JCTC with your program cohort August.
- Begin work at the dealership August.
- The Automotive Technician Career Pathway is a great transitional program for students looking to work in the Automotive industry. To successfully enroll in this program, we encourage students to complete all steps to get started by DECEMBER 1ST for the Spring Semester and AUGUST 1ST for the Fall semester. While these dates are not firm, we strongly encourage students be hired and enrolled by these dates to ensure a successful start.
- Students pursuing a diploma or certificate need a 16 ACT or higher.
- Students pursuing an Associate of Science need to meet regular JCTC admission criteria of 16 ACT or higher
- Students must meet UPS hiring requirements
- Students must meet dealership hiring requirements. These requirements vary by dealership.
- Oxmoor Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram - www.oxmoorchrysler.com
- Bob Hook Chevrolet - www.bobhook.com
- Courtesy Buick GMC - www.courtesybuickgmc.net
- Montgomery Automotive Group- www.kiastore.org
- Neil Huffman Acura- www.acuraatoxmoor.com
- Neil Huffman Honda- www.neilhuffmanhonda.com
- Louisville Honda World- www.louisvillehondaworld.com
- Bill Collins Ford- www.billcollinsford.com
To learn more about this program, contact Lexius Yarbrough, MC Student Development Counselor at 502-213-2645 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are an Automotive Dealership interested in participating in this partnership, please submit the Automotive Dealership Partner Participant Form.