UPS IT Professionals Program
This program provides a seamless pathway for MC students who are enrolled in Computer Science or Computer Information programs to connect with a UPS mentor, build a project portfolio and connect with full-time UPS IT professional positions.
- PROGRAM OVERVIEW
- IT PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS
- APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS
- HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- UPS IT PROFESSIONAL POSITION INFORMATION SESSION
- CONTACT INFORMATION
This program provides a seamless pathway for Metropolitan College (MC) students majoring in Computer Science or Computer Information to obtain mentoring and IT skills to support graduates transitioning to a full-time UPS IT employment opportunity. MC students participating in this program will:
- Attend JCTC or UofL
- Work at UPS during the day in an IT experiential learning position
- Connect with a UPS IT mentor
- Build an IT portfolio of project work
After graduation, students have the opportunity to fill a full-time position at UPS as an IT Professional with an entry level earning potential of $40,000-$100,000. Students will also have the opportunity to continue their education to increase certification levels while working full-time as an IT professional.
Students will maintain their eligibility for Metropolitan College benefits.
IT Professional Positions
MC students have the opportunity to participate in two types of IT Professional Positions:
- SUMMER INTERNSHIP
- Full-time positions working 8am-5pm five days a week
- Recruitment for summer positions begins in the fall term
- Participants eligible for Metropolitan College benefits
- SEMESTER CO-OP
- Part-time position
- Hours are flexible; supervisor will work around the student's class schedule
- Position appointment for 6 months with the opportunity for an extension
- Recruitment for these positions is year around
- Participants eligible for Metropolitan College benefits
UPS has numerous different types of full-time IT professional positions supporting all of its world class global applications. The 3 most common types of entry positions are Application Developers (various frameworks), Quality Assurance, and Business System Analyst.
In addition, UPS does also have positions that some may qualify for in User Interface/User Experience Designer (UI/UX), Database Analyst, Data Engineer, Information Security Analyst, Data Scientist and Data & Business, Systems Programming Analyst, Technology Support Analyst, and Intelligence Analyst.
The Applications Developer performs duties and tasks to support full systems life cycle management (e.g., analyses, technical requirements, design, coding, testing, implementation of systems and applications software, etc.). This position performs tasks within planned durations and established deadlines and collaborates with teams to ensure effective communication and to support the achievement of objectives. This position provides development, maintenance, and support for applications.
Recommended Skillsets: .Net, Java, Angular, SQL Server, Couchbase, Azure, or GCP coding experience.
The Business Systems Analyst works independently on projects of low to moderate complexity. This position serves as a liaison between the business community and Information Services (I.S.). This position elicits and analyzes business needs for assigned projects, communicates with stakeholders, and participates in determining if the solution fits within the long-term strategic vision. This position ensures that Business Systems Analysis (BSA) work products conform to quality and content standards.
Recommended Skillsets: Agile Scrum Master fundamentals using Azure DevOps (ADO).
QUALITY ASSURANCE ENGINEER
The Software Quality Engineer executes Information Services (I.S.) and Quality Assurance (QA) processes with moderate guidance. This position identifies problems, generates alternatives, and recommends solutions within defined processes. as well as documents the progress of assigned tasks to ensure objectives are met. This position collaborates effectively with QA team members, application developers, software vendors, consultants, user communities, and test environment technical support staff in the execution of testing procedures. This position supports testing efforts of small to medium complexity. The Quality Assurance Analyst is knowledgeable of the key processes and technology within the business functions he/she supports.
Recommended Skillsets: .Net, Java, Angular, SQL Server, Couchbase, Azure, or GCP manual and automation testing experience.
Students interested in the UPS IT Professionals Program must meet the following requirements:
- Current Metropolitan College student
- Complete a minimum of 3-4 IT courses
- Must be enrolled in one of the following majors:
- Experiential Learning
- It is not a requirement to receive co-op or internship credit to participate in this pathway.
- While not required, students are encouraged to connect with the JCTC/UofL Academic Advisor to learn about opportunities to earn credit.
How To Participate
Step 1: Connect Early With A UPS IT Professional
- As soon as you become an MC participant, UPS wants to connect with you to provide coaching and mentoring.
- Email us at UPSITPathway@ups.com In your email, share with us:
- First and Last Name
- GEMS ID
- School you attend and major
- Your IT interests and goals
- Attend a UPS IT Professionals Information session to learn more about our program and network with UPS IT professionals.
Step 2: Create a customized IT resume and on-line career portfolio.
- Begin to work with a Metropolitan College Student Development Counselor to customize an IT resume and on-line career portfolio so you are ready to apply to the UPS IT Professional Program
- MC Students may contact their assigned Student Development Counselor through their MyMC page to set up an appointment.
Step 3: Apply to an experiential learning positions
- Interested MC students should apply through UPS' Management Career Opportunities (MCO)
- Click here to connect to UPsers and login to review an article which provides an explanation of the process for applying through MCO and provides the direct link to apply.
- If you have questions, please email UPSITPathway@ups.com
UPS IT Professionals Information Session
UPS has numerous IT opportunities in the Louisville area that are a great fit for MC students!
UPS Airline Transportation Solutions (ATS) division develops and maintains the numerous UPS applications that support all of the UPS Airlines and Transportation Departments worldwide. Within ATS, there are countless opportunities across different roles and technologies. ATS has entry level developers in .Net and Java, Business Analysts, Quality Assurance, and User Interface designers all working in modern tech stacks. We can also get you in touch with groups in information security, data analytics, and other fields within UPS as well.
ATS recognizes the great potential of your IT degree and UPS experience and would like the chance to meet with you and share the many job openings and career paths that we have available. The goal of this session is for MC students to network with UPS IT professionals and to answer any questions you may have.
We invite our MC students to attend one of our career fair events:
- Wednesday Nov 2nd from 9:30pm – 11:30pm : North Core CHSP Conference Room (near the HR Office)
- Thursday Nov 3rd at 4:00pm – 6:00pm : Virtual via MS Teams. Click here to join the meeting
To learn more about this program, contact Lexius Yarbrough, MC Student Development Counselor at 502-213-2645 or email@example.com