ATTENTION ALL CURRENT MC STUDENTS: The deadline to sign your MC agreement is Thursday, December 13th!!!
All MC Offices will close at noon on Wednesday, November 21st for the Thanksgiving holiday and will reopen on Monday, November 26th at 9:00am.
All MC Offices will be closed for the winter break beginning Monday, December 17th. The UofL Office will reopen on Wednesday, January 2nd at 9:00am. JCTC Offices will reopen on Monday, January 7th at 9:00am.
Online Career Guide Mentor Program (for Volunteers)
Get Involved. Share your professional expertise with others. Volunteer to be an Online Career Guide Mentor.
Complete the Career Guide Mentor Volunteer Form.
Do you remember looking for your first job after college?
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock
If you were like most new college grads, you were excited—and a bit terrified about finding your first job. As an industry professional, you can get involved in a meaningful volunteer opportunity and provide professional guidance to students who are preparing to enter the workforce.
The Online Career Guide Mentor Program is facilitated entirely online through email communication and supports the professional development of currently enrolled Jefferson Community and Technical College or Metropolitan Collegestudents preparing to enter the workforce.
Through this online mentor program, students connect with industry professionals who will serve as their "Career Guides" for brief, one-time feedback in one or more of the following areas: Resume Review, LinkedIn Profile Review, and Online Career Portfolio Review.
How It Works
Volunteering to be a Career Guide is as easy as 1, 2, 3 …
- Receive a student match email notification
- Review the student’s career-related document
- Complete the guided online feedback form
Note: The goal is to match Career Guides with students who share similar career interests; however, all networking relationships are deemed valuable and can contribute to professional growth, knowledge sharing, and innovative ideas.
Career Guides will receive up to three (3) student match email notifications in a given month, and it only takes 15-20 minutes to offer feedback. This volunteer opportunity is open year-round, and Career Guides may opt-out at any time.
Note: Depending on the number of students and Career Guides participating, there may be months when you may or may not be matched with a student.
One-time Professional Feedback Sessions
Career Guides may volunteer to complete one or more of the following one-time, professional feedback sessions:
- Resume Review | Estimated Time: 15-20 minutes | Delivery Method: Email | Sample Resume Feedback Form | Provide constructive resume critiques using an online feedback form to help students promote their skills and experience to employers.
- LinkedIn Profile Review | Estimated Time: 15-20 minutes | Delivery Method: Email | Sample LinkedIn Profile Feedback Form | Review LinkedIn profiles using an online feedback form to help market their personal brand, network with professionals, and showcase relevant skills and experience to employers.
- Online Career Portfolio Review | Estimated Time: 15-20 minutes | Delivery Method: Email | Sample Online Career Portfolio Feedback Form | Review career portfolio websites using an online feedback form to help students brand their candidacy and effectively highlight their relevant skills and experience to employers.
The Online Career Guide Program is open to all employers and professionals, both within and outside of the Greater Louisville Metro area, who are interested in supporting students' professional growth and development and meet the following criteria:
- Currently employed or retired;
- A minimum of one year of professional work experience; AND
- Degree or credential preferred
Career Guides are Expected to:
- Have a sincere desire to contribute to the career development of aspiring professionals
- Monitor and check email at least once a week
- Complete professional feedback session(s) within five (5) business days of match email notification
- Notify program coordinator of any changes to contact information or employment
Career Guides are NOT Expected to:
- Offer jobs or internships
- Be industry experts or have all the answers
- Extend contact with students beyond the one-time professional feedback session
- Gain personal satisfaction by helping an aspiring professional develop their potential
- Expand your professional network and gain exposure to the emerging talent pool
- Enhance your coaching, leadership, and management skills
Sign up today! Complete the Career Guide Mentor Volunteer Form.
Questions? Contact Renecia Griffie Davis, MC Student Development Counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org or (502) 213-4521.
Note: If you are a current MC/JCTC student or alumni interested in connecting with a Career Guide for a professional feedback session, please contact a MC/CREW Counselor for assistance.